The ongoing COVID crisis has overshadowed another big crisis facing the people of Auckland in 2020 – a severe water shortage. Now that summer is nearly here and the demand for our already stretched water resources will only increase, it’s time for us to conserve as much H2O as we can. As trusted plumbers for North Shore homes and businesses, we thought we’d share a few simple tips that will help our community save precious water.
- Don’t use your toilet as a rubbish bin. 5 to 12 litres is wasted every time you flush it.
- Keep your drinking water in a covered jug in the fridge. This saves running the tap for precious seconds until the water is cold enough.
- Don’t water the garden in the heat of the day because it causes excessive evaporation.
- Keep your garden weed-free. Weeds compete with your plants for water.
- Let your grass grow a little longer than you usually do. It will stay greener and require less watering.
- If you’re planting a new lawn choose a drought-resistant lawn seed like Perennial Ryegrass or Kentucky Bluegrass.
- Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth.
- Use a bowl to scrub vegetables in the kitchen sink and put the used water on the lawn.
- Up to 73 % of your garden water evaporates before reaching the roots so apply a good quality mulch, especially around shrubs and trees.
- If your sprinkler is spraying water on the driveway or paths, turn it down or reposition it until it hits the actual target. A sprinkler can use as much water in an hour as a family of four will use in a day.
- Put a cover on your swimming pool and spas to prevent water evaporating.
- Don’t overuse your washing machine. Wait until you have a full load as the average washing machine uses less water on a full load than two half loads. This will save a lot of power as well.
We can help you too by stopping constant leaks or installing new shower heads or dual flush toilets, just to give you a few examples. For a comprehensive and profession money saving and water saving service, get in touch with us today!